Monday, January 18, 2016

Illustrated faith

Our LWML group had a special speaker at the women's prayer breakfast this past Saturday. The workshop was on Bible journaling and visual prayer. Connie Denninger presented how to illustrate your faith using color pencils, stickers and a pottery barn catalog to name a few things! It's all things I love! I'm inspired by the things in Cloth Paper Scissor, scrapbooking, journaling, etc. For the last few years I've been doing online Bible studies through Good Morning Girls (now called Women Living Well) and Love God Greatly. In these studies I use a basic spiral bound journal. There is a daily scripture you read, then you write it out and then finish up the SOAP method by writing down your observations, applications and a prayer. I would try to make the letters interesting for each section to dress it up. I love writing out the Bible verse and try to make it artsy. I have since added writing scripture by the month from the sweet blessings blog. There is a scripture passage for each day. I use the same journal. I just turn it over and the back becomes the front for this portion. So Saturday's workshop came at the perfect time! Instead of journaling in my Bible, I'm incorporating the journaling in my devotional journals. Here are two examples from the writing scripture by the month.



I spent a little more time, but it helps with driving the point home for this passage of scripture.

I also was keeping a 1000 gifts journal using Ann Voskamp's handout, which is based on her book of the same title. I love her blog too, it's called A holy Experience. She is so eloquent in her writing, what a blessing in the craziness of life. She also has a freebie page that has cool printable you could use in your journaling. Since the workshop on Saturday and using some of the great ideas Connie shared, I'm motivated to pick back up on my 1000 gifts journal too!

There were just so many ideas. Don't try everything at once, start out small so you don't get burned out. Pick one thing. For ideas you can follow Connie on her blog Vintage Grace, join the DC metro Bible journaling and Ann Arbor Bible Journaling on fb. Do a search for illustrated faith or Bible Journaling and you'll find a bunch more ideas.

For those of you who are looking for a journaling Bible, I did find an ESV journaling Bible on amazon for 19.24.

Happy journaling,
L

PS: if you're new to blogs, it helps to organize them by using a blog reader like Feedly or Bloglovin. To save ideas for future reference I use Evermore or Pocket. I've just started using pocket and it seems to work better with Feedly. Another one to try is One Note. The key is to pick one or two and stick with them. You can organize them by tags or note books. This topic could be a whole other blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment