Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Celtic Solstice is finished!

I finished Bonnie Hunter's 2013 Mystery Quilt Celtic Solstice March 5 and it was bound by the 8th!  I missed the final link up by a month, but that's not bad. I finished it!  :) This was the third Bonnie Hunter quilt I've done since June 2013. Now I've just got to finish the first one I've started!

Here it is after it was quilted and bound.  I need to get a better picture.



I really had fun figuring out what to quilt where. This was the first quilt I quilted on my longarm.  I did use Pro stitcher to do the quilting. I learned a lot about the program while quilting this and can't wait to quilt more! Sorry it took so long to post.

Just finished!!!! Time to take it off and get the binding on!!!!
Here are some more pictures...

Pinning the backing
Getting ready to pin the top


Watching a little quilt cam for inspiration ....

Close up of the quilting on the outer borders
The inner border quilting 
The edge to edge quilting of the middle of the quilt



Quilting after washing
You can see the clover edge to edge quilting a little better here


Don't forget the label!!!!
This was a really great quilt to start with on my long arm.  I always like a challenge and I thought why just do an edge to edge design, why not do 3 borders too!!!!  I basted the borders so they wouldn't shift with all the different quilting I was doing.  Which really helped keep everything straight.  I was told to plan to lose an inch with the quilting, but it turned out it was 2 inches in each direction.  I learned a lot and just treated it as I would my embroidery machine and it worked out.

I went with Bonnie's color scheme and couldn't believe I had so much orange.  I up-cycled the backing from a Duvet cover I made my daughter years ago.  Bonus, it was already the right size and I didn't have to piece it!!! I love looking at the various fabrics and remembering, hey I made the boys shirts from this, or this is Christmas fabric from the 90's, or this is stash fabric from the 70's! So many  memories in this quilt!

I have about ten more tops that are ready to quilt, so I guess I better get ready to quilt some more!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment